Monday, December 22, 2014

A Tale of Two Concerts: Better Late Than Never

Exactly 18 years ago I came to Santa Fe with my mother to spend Christmas. We rented an adobe casita on Delgado Street in the historic upper East Side of the city.  I was going through a particular rough time in my life, and magical Santa Fe was the perfect place to find positive energy for myself and my mom.

One of the high lights of our visit was to attend the Christmas Eve concert at the beautiful Loretto Chapel near the main plaza in Santa Fe. I had purchased the tickets to hear the Santa Fe Pro Musica Baroque Ensemble long before we left on our trip.

On Christmas Eve we awoke to a snowstorm! By the end of the day, we had over two feet of snow on the ground. There was no way our dirt road was going to get plowed in time to go to the concert. Instead, we were invited by friendly neighbors to join them around their traditional outdoor Christmas Eve bonfire to drink mulled wine. Needless to say, a heart warming experience.

Last evening, Eric and I attended the Santa Fe Pro Musica "A Baroque Christmas" concert at the Loretto Chapel with the radiant Deborah Domanski, mezzo-soprano, singing Vivaldi and also traditional Carols. We both remarked later that it was a celestial experience.

After the concert, we walked to the Plaza to see the Holiday light display and then on to the historic La Fonda Hotel for dinner. A perfect end to a perfect evening.
Loretto Chapel

The Magic Chapel Stair Case

Lights on the Plaza

Window display at the La Fonda Hotel






No comments:

Post a Comment